Friday 24 July 2015

Psilocybin Trial Diary - Day two: First scan and prep.

Me in scrubs
The torrential rain starts just before I arrive. I’m given a green wristband by the receptionist and Robin then comes to meet me and takes me to the patient lounge. After a quick urine test, I put on scrubs, my identity disappearing with my clothes, and we then head to the scanner unit.

Robin guides me through everything. He says it'll be loud and may be claustrophobic. I have ear protectors on and a mirror above my eyes shows me the screen behind my head.

The first scans involve me having to keep my eyes closed for the whole time. Am I lying still? I'm trying to. I must relax my shoulders. Does that make my head move? I don't know. I've been told to focus on my depressed state so I’m thinking about my abusive dad, my childhood, how bleak and horrible it all was. God this is depressing.

After each scan I have to rate how I felt using buttons on a pad that's strapped to my arm and wrist. Left and right on the scale with the first two fingers, then select with my thumb. Each time I have to say how depressed/happy/anxious/motivated I was on a sliding scale.

I feel massively anxious during the first two or three scans. I feel like jumping out of the machine as it grinds and whirrs and groans and beeps around me. I imagine this is what it would be like if I was miniaturised and placed on my flatbed scanner at home - with another one on my left, my right and above me, all about an inch away from my skin. I reassure myself that I have the round squeezy panic button in the pocket of my scrubs and that just about keeps me going.

After every scan (lasting around 8 minutes each) I hear the voice of (her name escapes me, Adele?) who is in the scanner control room, asking me if I'm ok and telling me how long the next scan is and what I need to do. The final three scans involve clicking a button when a face appears on the screen, listening to a piano piece (my happiness rating went up but so did my anxiety - it was quite an emotionally varied piece) and the last one is just a physical scan of my brain rather the activity inside it.

This is where my 4am start kicks in (I had to take my Norwegian nephew to the train station) and I fall asleep. Apparently this is the perfect time to snooze if I need to as it would have messed up all of the scans aside from this one. (Can you be depressed in your sleep? Good question).

The dosing room
After I've filled in a couple of questionnaires on Robin's laptop, we then leave the scanning unit and head to what I can only describe as the chill out room. It's another private ward but has multicoloured fabrics hanging over the curtain rail that encircles the bed. There are fake candles that throw out a soft, welcoming light, pot plants and a nice snug blanket on the bed. This is where I will be given my doses. Robin tells me there will also be an aroma diffuser, fresh flowers and music when it comes to the dosing days.

This feeling of comfort increases as I get to know the two psychiatrists who'll be looking after/over me better. Mark and James are both warm, welcoming and disarming and we talk more about my family background and my struggles to make sense of it all and how I've desperately tried to 'fix' things (normally by trying to get unreasonable people to see reason - futile).

Empowerment and disempowerment seem to be themes. I often feel powerless. I can't change arseholes into better people, even though I try my hardest. Robin brings me a massive lunch and I'm left in the chill out/dosing room to eat and further acclimatise myself.

Post-lunch we have more time to chat and we do a dummy run of the dosing day. I lie down on the bed and listen to a (brilliant) selection of ambient music (is that Eno?) that will be played throughout my dosing. I then put earbuds in, which brings the music even closer, put a facemask on to block out the light and we practise a special handhold (which involves holding each others forearms). That's pretty much it for what was an interesting and at times testing (no pun intended) day.

No comments:

Post a Comment